PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL
MONDAY 20 NOVEMBER 2006 - PAKENHAM VILLAGE HALL
PRESENT: Cllr J Mangnall, Cllr D Dorling, Cllr M Sargent, Cllr L Patterson Cllr H Painter, Cllr Griffin, Cllr P Smith and Mrs M Gardiner (clerk).
Cllr C Spicer & Cllr R Hopfensperger attended for part of the meeting.
APOLOGIES: CPO Sheena Tate (rest day)
2 - DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: None
3 - PUBLIC FORUM: No public present.
4 - POLICE REPORT:
CPO S Tate had reported that no crimes had been reported since the last meeting and that the next surgery in the village would be held on 14th December at 1400.
5 - BOROUGH COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Parish Conference - grants available from Havebury and there is also a rural grant scheme.
Cattle Market - 2 month delay. Official opening 11am Friday 1 December. There will be more short-term parking available than ever before. From 27th November signs will show parking space availability in the town
Anderson's/Grimstone End Pit -No reply has been received from Mr Anderson to the letter dated 13th October. The Enforcement Officer would prefer to negotiate on number of days training will take place, rather than push for planning permission.
Shetland Boats - nothing further to report.
Tipping beside A143 - Mr Barty is being pursued for activities at Bardwell rather than at the A143 site at present.
Wheelie-bin - Cllr Spicer is chasing for a bin to be sited at the Pavilion. He queried the provision of a dog-waste bin, which had been suggested some months ago. Councillors decided that such a bin should be sited on Fen Road, by the Agricentre (footpath no.1). Cllr Spicer to pass on request to the Borough Council.
Planning application - Brenricke has changed its name and the owner is going to appeal against the Council's decision.
6 - COUNTY COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
CCTV -. Confirmed date for connection of light outside the village hall as below.
Fen Rd/Baileypool Bridge & Fen Rd/Bull Lane triangles - she is still awaiting a date for the site visit. Mr Nunn suggested that clearer signage before the bridge might also help prevent lorries trying to cross.
Tipping beside A143 - a Council Officer will visit the site.
Possible Schools reorganisation - a complete cross-section of the community in the whole of Suffolk were asked for their views. 2% more favoured the two-tier system. A quality development panel will be set up and the changes could take 25 years to implement, or there may be no changes at all.
Waste disposal - There are two different methods under consideration as landfill is becoming increasingly costly. MBT separation (mechanical bio waste-recycling) includes incineration of the residue.The alternative is complete incineration. MBT would cost £30 in taxes or a 2% increase. Most people are in favour of MBT and the council favours incineration. Discussions still taking place on sites for incinerators and possible use of the heat generated.
Local Government White Paper - will give Parish Councils more power. Partnership between councils will be encouraged, which will be more efficient and save money. Ipswich is hoping to become a unitary authority.
The Chairman convened the meeting.
7 - MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING: were amended and then agreed & signed as a true record.
8 - CLERK'S REPORT:
Community Safety Forum - Clerk attended. Hand-outs available for Councillors. Mainly aimed at towns and larger villages. Fortunately Pakenham does not have a significant amount of anti-social behaviour.
Parish Council Conference - Clerk attended and found it interesting. Leaflets and hand-outs were circulated to Councillors
Allotments - wrote to Mrs Barton to see if she still wanted her allotment or whether she was prepared to let James Dawkins use half of it. (After the meeting the Clerk received an email to say that Mrs Barton wished to cultivate the whole plot).
Community Responder Scheme - no-one has shown interest so far.
Hanchets - a request for the erection of a memorial has been received, but we have no record of the burial. Clerk to follow up.
9 - PLANNING APPLICATIONS:
SE/06/2728 - Cotswold, Fen Road.
Erection of single storey side extension. The Council has no objections.
Granted - Newe House, Fen Road: Internal alterations.
Planning query - 2 Micklemere, Mill Road.
Planning permission was given in 2002 for a 2-storey extension, which has been advertised to let in the local newspaper. Planning Dept was advised and reminded by email on 13 November. Clerk to chase.
Old Hall Farm - Planners had visited site of bund. Farmer had claimed it consisted of soil that had been dredged out of the ditch, therefore it is permitted. No further action.
10 - FINANCE REPORT:
Cheques signed since the last meeting: none.
Cheques signed at the meeting: A J Hosken & Clerk (wages); PVH & PFA (Post Office equipment); D Thrower (grass-cutting)
Receipts: BT Openreach (wayleave for Church Green)
Parish Council Estimates: After discussion Councillors agreed estimates as attached sheet. Clerk to submit to St Eddmundsbury.
Financial Regulations: Councillors had studied these since the last meeting and agreed amendments. Clerk to present fair copy for adoption at the January meeting.
11 - TIPPING BESIDE A143: see comments from Councillors above.
12 - ANDERSON'S / GRIMSTONE END PIT:
see comments from Councillors as above. List of dates and times of training sessions has been received from Mrs Lovegrove.
13 - CCTV & ADDITIONAL LIGHTING OUTSIDE VILLAGE HALL:
Rod Jones has informed us that the connection work is to be done by EDF on Monday 4 December.
Clerk to check that camera will be fitted and connected at the same time. Cllr Smith to purchase new monitor and also more cable if necessary.
14 - BEECH TREE IN THE DELL:
Councillor Dorling reported that the work would be undertaken within about three week's time.
15 - STANDING ORDERS:
Councillors had studied these prior to the meeting and after discussion amendments were approved. Clerk to present updated regulations for adoption at the next meeting.
Clerk to check that our risk management and code of conduct documents are up-to-date.
16 - CORRESPONDENCE:
St Edmundsbury: Standards Committee Agenda 8 November & Minutes 13 September.
CCPRE: Voice magazine - circulated.
SCC: Consultation on Respite Services for Older People at Bramford, Ipswich & Local Authority Day Care Services.
Neighbourhoold Watch: an email had been received from Mrs Jackson regarding the security light outside the Post Office. The question of who will pay the cost of electricity was discussed and it was agreed that the Village Hall Committee will pay for this if it is billed as a separate unit. The Council expect it to be included with normal street lighting. Clerk to inform Mrs Jackson of expected date of connection.
17 - OPEN FORUM: David Thrower to be asked to cut back overhanging branches in the parish burial ground.
18 - DATE OF NEXT MEETING:
Tony Hosken, our street-cleaner has said that he no longer has time to do the job properly. Chairman to write to ask him to stay until the end of the year.
Street light - a light sited at the entrance to The Greenwoods was removed when building work started on that development. It has never been replaced. Chairman to speak to Councillor Spicer.
Monday 8 January 2007, 7.30pm.