PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL
7.30pm 22nd March 2012, Pakenham Village Hall
Present: Cllr H Painter, Cllr D Dorling, Cllr M Sargent , Cllr C Palfrey, Cllr M Bagnall, Borough Councillor C Spicer & County Cllr R Hopfensperger.
Mrs M Gardiner (clerk) was in attendance.
1 - Apologies for absence: Cllr R Griffin.
2 - Declarations of interest: none.
3 - Public Forum:-
Mill Road – Neighbour asked about progress. Cllr Spicer reported that the papers have been submitted to the court by the solicitors. When the court date has been booked, St Edmundsbury will be in touch with him and he will pass on the information.
A resident said how much better the bus shelter looked without the graffiti. Posters make it look untidy. It is the responsibility of the people who put up posters to take them down again. A noticeboard was suggested but then someone would have to look after it and the Parish Council has no spare money at present.
A Fen Road resident thanked Cllrs Hopfensperger and J Spicer for their work in ensuring the Fen Road bus continues.
A resident of The Street commented on the number of vehicles speeding through the village, including school coaches. The Police agreed to enforce the 30mph limit. The Chairman said that the Parish Council has money allocated for village ‘gates’ or other traffic calming. Cars parked along the street also slow traffic. The Chairman has a meeting with the Highway Dept on 3rd April and will discuss this matter with them.
4 - County Councillor’s Report:-
Cllr Hopfensperger told the meeting that SID can be requested through the SCC website. Community speedwatch has been very successful in several local villages. Training and equipment is provided, but the speed-gun has to be paid for. Users report to Police who issue warnings.
Any traffic calming measures must be in keeping with a village setting.
Cllr Hopfensperger and the Chairman are to meet to discuss signage at Baileypool Bridge to try to prevent HGVs using it.
She has reported the potholes and the drainage gulleys that need clearing.
Broadband – a survey regarding the supply of faster broadband has been on the SCC website. Infrastructure will be improved later this year.
The current bus service will continue until the end of August, when a replacement will need to be in place.
Cllr Dorling complimented SCC on the rebuilding of Baileypool Bridge, which was seconded by all.
5 - Borough Councillor’s Report :-
Cllr Spicer reminded Councillors that they were eligible for the Village of the Year competition. We did enter last time.
He will ask if the provision of faster broadband will also increase the strength of mobile phone networks.
Street lights - The lamp at the bottom of The Drift is now on but the timing is not correct.
Collapse of fence at St Mary’s View – Cllr Spicer will ask St Edmundsbury to repair it.
Dog bins – The cost will be £116.37 each, installation £62.77 plus the cost of a new post. Sites suggested are on the flint wall adjacent to the byway sign by the entrance to Nether Hall and on the metal railings at the entrance to Church Wood, although wheelie bins might be in the way there. Parish Councillors agreed to visit the sites before making a decision.
Mill Road – There has been a large rat infestation on the roadside verge. Cllr Spicer has reported this to the Environmental Health Dept and they will contact neighbours direct.
6 - Police report:–
There has been one reported crime since the last meeting:-
21/03/12 – Burglary other building – Shed broken into over 2 day period and items amounting to a high value have been stolen.
Speeding through the village is a priority. Visibility along the street is poor so enforcement with a speed-gun is not practical. SID might help. A request will be made, but there is a waiting list.
Cllr Dorling asked about Speedwatch. A minimum of 6 volunteers are needed as 2 or 3 people work together. A volunteer from the village is needed to co-ordinate and take this initiative forward.
The Chairman convened the meeting.
7 - Approve minutes of meeting held on 22nd March 2012:-
These were approved and signed as a true record.
8 - Planning applications:-
SE/12/0137/FUL – Erection of wind turbine (resubmission)
Field adjoining Beaumonts Hall, Pakenham.
A resident of Ixworth Road, Stowlangtoft spoke at length about research he had done into similar sites and turbines and details of their manufacture and the claims regarding noise and efficiency.
The Chairman noted that this application referred to a turbine two thirds the height of that in the previous application and is now approx 100ft.
The photomontages are very misleading.
Residents are also worried about the shadow flicker effect.
Footpaths and bridle paths are very close to the site.
Residents suggest that this is a commercial venture and not just to service the drying barn.
Cllr Spicer asked if there was a dismantling clause – there was not.
After much discussion and taking into consideration the concern of so many villagers, it was unanimously agreed to send the following in response to this application:
The Parish Council object to this application. They consider that there is still insufficient information to adequately consider this application.
In particular, it is incredibly difficult to assess the location and impact of the height from the information available to the Parish Council. Also, the photo montages do not appear to accurately represent the impact of the turbine. We feel that a balloon erected on site and a site meeting where elected councillors can see the impact is a necessity.
We are very concerned that the noise report is thoroughly investigated to ensure that no nuisance occurs to neighbours.
Please ensure that residents of all neighbouring parishes have been informed of the application.
TCA12/2208 - Wansbeck Cottage.
9 - Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations:-
Suggestions for a Pakenham mug were circulated. Each child (14 and under) will receive a mug free and extra mugs will be sold probably at £5 for china and £5.75 for porcelain to cover the cost. A first order of around 100 china and 40 porcelain was proposed and agreed.
10 - Parish Plan:-
Local Housing Needs Survey – for next meeting.
It was unanimously agreed that previous survey sheets be destroyed by burning.
11 - Baileypool Bridge: Meeting on 3rd April to discuss signage as previously stated.
12 - Church Wood and The Dell:-
Inspections are now taking place weekly and will be recorded.
A Church Wood site visit has been arranged.
13 - Memorial request:-
Hanchets requested an addition to a memorial. Agreed by councillors.
14 - Local Development Framework – Vision 2031:-
Councillors and residents can access this information on the SCC website. The clerk has a paper copy available.
15 - Finance Report:-
A Finance Report was circulated and payments agreed.
Noticeboard at Grimstone End – still under discussion.
Cllr Sargent agreed to replace Cllr Kibbel as a cheque signatory.
16 - Clerk’s report: Nothing to report.
17 - Correspondence:-
SALC : Legal topics
Suffolk Acre : Update magazine
18 - Councillor’s reports:-
Remembrance Sunday – The Parish Council approved road closure for this event
19 - Date of next meeting:-
Thursday 19th April 2012 at 7.30pm in Pakenham Village Hall.