Meeting of the
PAKENHAM VILLAGE HALL & PLAYING FIELD ASSN - 28.07.2011
Registered Charity No. 1081815
Supported by the Community Fund; Countryside Agency; Help the Aged;
St Edmundsbury & Suffolk Councils
Chairman : R Gay; Secretary : J Wilson
Minutes of the meeting held in Pakenham Village Hall on Thursday 28th July 2011 commencing at 7.30pm.
1a - Members Present
Richard Gay - RG - Chairman
Christopher Spicer - CS - Vice Chairman
Phil Smith - PS - Committee Member
Julie Wilson - JW - Minute
Paul Shackleton - PSh - Co-opted
Roger Harnor - RH - Committee Member
Mary Kirby - MK - Committee Member
Caroline Dawkings - CB - Toddlers
John Culley - JC - Carpet Bowls
Jim Burrows - JB - Bowls
Jane Thickett - JT - Committee Member
Pat Simpson - PSi - Monday Club
Karl Scott - KS - Committee Member
1b - Apologies
Diane Lloyd - DL- Players
Joan Mangnall - JM - Booking Secretary
Carol Cordell - CC - Co-opted
1c - Absent
Max Bacon - MB - Church Rep
Lesley-Anne Ford - LF - WI
2 - Approval of the previous Meeting: 25th May 2011
Minutes updated & approved.
3 - Matters arising from the last meeting -
Keyboard has been donated. No cost incurred.
WI have purchased microphone. Phil Smith has given Mary Kirby a cheque for £168 covering the cost. WI to produce instructions on how to use the microphone.
£7.99 each- 2 to be purchased by Phil Smith
Keys to the Village Hall and security
All main village hall users hold keys. Other users borrow from the Post Office when needed.
CS has posted a sign on the side door instructing users how to lock and check the door.
CS to investigate the cost of a bar placed on the door to ensure security.
4 - Treasurer's Report
May 11- July 11:-
Total Income: £3516.08
Current Account: £ 3480.09
100 Club: £ 1425.00
PS has reviewed electricity bills and proposed paying by direct debit in order to save 8%. Committee agreed to transfer to the scheme.
5 - Booking Secretary's Report:-
Bookings going smoothly.
6 - Fundraising Reports:-
Forth coming events:-
Quiz Night- 8th October 2011.
Horse racing night -
-Using Suffolk Hunt Race Night company – company takes some profit ( RG awaiting reply to enquiry)
- Committee organise.
Suggestion made the first evening Suffolk Hunt Race Hunt company be used. RG proposed event to be held in November
Men only poker evening. Decision made not to hold such an evening.
Car Treasure Hunt To be organised in 2012.
Pampered Chef Evening:-
Pimms and Summer Puddings Evening to be organised for 1st September.
Female pamper evening. Decision made not to hold such an evening.
Car Boot Sale Summer Fete being held on Saturday 30th July.
Car Boot Sale being combined with Fete. MB to monitor success with the view to holding sales more regularly.
-RH to investigate Jazz band for future event
-MK suggested organising a film evening once a month and organising a wine tasting evening.
-RG suggested New Years Eve Party.
-JC suggested holding a raffle. JC to discuss with MB with the view to organising.
7 - Correspondence:-
*RG received letter from East Anglian Cleaning Services re legionella. JW to investigate.
*RG received letter from lady re blue coat left behind in July. Nobody had seen it. Cleaner to be asked.
*Barbara has old fridge from Post Office. She has asked what the committee wants her to do with it. JT to explore options.
*Football- Thurston Football Club- request to use pitch on 4th & 10th August. JM reported that pitch is unmarked and has not been used for a year.
*Woolpit Football Club- has enquired re hiring the pitch for a year. RG & RH to investigate costs of hiring pitches.
*Lottery License & Performing Rights Society- transferred from CS to RG.
*Village Hall Premises License to be transferred to the Management Committee rather than an individual.
*SCC budgets- money is available to organisations. CS suggested getting the Village sign cleaned.
*Notice boards- CS reported on discussion at recent Parish Council meeting. Peter Wickford able to improve the village notice boards (£200 labour only & materials- board by hall (Village Hall to pay), £250 for board in Grimstone End (Parish Council to pay)). CS to suggest to parish Council that the board from Grimstone End be moved to a safer place. KS suggested that notice board by Hall be moved. CS to discuss possibility of moving notice board outside village hall.
*Shelving in Post Office- quote provided £500 to be paid for work.
*Air-conditioning unit has been serviced. CS reported it takes 2-3 hours to remove cover. This cover is not very strong. CS advised stronger, easier to remove cover replace current one. Also suggested outside tap fitted. Quote from Tony Edgar- £300-£600. Other quotes to be sought.
*Playing Fields Inspection – categorised as Low Risk.
8 - Repairs and Maintenance:-
a - The Village Hall
b - The Pavilion painted by JB
c - Play Area discussed above. Well used.
9 - Village Reports:-
Monday Club- JC produced a letter which has been circulated with the aim to attract more members.
Bowls- near end of season.
WI- 6 new members have joined.
Toddlers-not meeting over the school summer holiday.
New chairs have been purchased. Plans to purchase new tables too.
Players- Scenery will be painted as soon as possible.
10 - Public Questions: None
11 - Any other Business:-
Website- CS requested that Paul Harris updates photographs.
MK requested that hooks be placed on walls by front doors in order to ease loading & unloading.
MK having final meeting with Key Stage re pageant next year. MK requested that CS & RG write letters supporting the event.
12 - Date and time of next meeting:-
Monday 26th September 2011 7.30pm.